‘Ugadi’ is known as the beginning of an era. And this festival celebrated on Chaitra Suddha Padyami symbolizing with a dish prepared with 6 tastes (Shadruchulu). Each taste of the dish has a significance and its preparation doesn’t have any standard recipe.
- Neem Flowers – Signifies Sadness.
- Jaggery and Ripe Banana – Signifies Happiness.
- Green Chilli – Signifies Anger.
- Salt – Signifies Fear.
- Tamarind Juice – Signifies Disgust.
- Unriped Mango – Signifies Surprise.
When we taste this dish the first taste which touches your tongue will signify the rest of the year.
Traditionally on this day people listen to the Panchanga Sravanam read by priest at the temple and tasting the ugadi dish followed by lots of special dishes like pulihora, bobbatlu etc. Panchanga Sravanam describes about the fortune for that year in general for the entire earth and individuals based on their raasi.